Kik is a mobile chat application which is surprisingly being used by more than 40% of the teenagers. At the very first glance, one would find Kik as any other free messaging app that can be used over smart phones. All users are expected to do is, Kik sign in with a user name and start sending messages and emoticons to their friends. Well, this is just the beginning Kik has been designed keeping teenage users in mind. This application has built-in web browser and all types of native apps within it, leaving almost no reason for one to leave. While using this application, one can play games, watch videos, hear music and scroll through the funny content.
Is Kik Safe for Kids?
While majority of the teens prefer to use Kik, it is still a concern for majority of parents. Most of them do not recognize it as a theft, but some of them do and believe it to be unsafe. Initially this application had an age requirement of 13+ age however with due time it has been increased to 17 and children below this age are not permitted to use the application. There has been restriction on age of children, due to increasing child exploitation which has further raised the concern of parents.
Why Kik is Not Safe for Kids – Reasons
The application has eventually gained a reputation of attracting sexual predators, and the credit goes to its anonymity feature and weak parental controls. Well such incidents have really made parents and other individuals think if Kik is safe for kids? Various reasons have substantiated to the fact that Kik is not a safe application to be used by kids. Some of the reasons have been listed below;
- Privacy setting: The insecure privacy setting is not up to the mark, thus giving strangers chance to get through it easily. Owing to the setting, any or everyone can enter the account and misuse it to his/her own advantage.
- Adult content: The quantum of spammers and porn bots has immensely increased leading to the floatation of adult content across the application. In such a situation, one cannot be sure if their children is exposed to such content and is exploited.
- Group chats: Kik application provides its users an opportunity to get involved into group chats, wherein interaction can be done and initiated with strangers. With such large group chats, there are chances that kids gets exposed to wrong company without being under the supervision of their parents.
- Adult hookups: Unverified and unrated hook apps are hosted within Kik directing kids in the wrong direction. At times, kids tend to believe the application or websites hosted by the app making them fall for incorrect or fraudulent facts or things.
- Supervision: Kik being an application of 21st century has been designed using the latest and best technology. This technology has made it difficult for parents to supervise their children and inquire what and how kids have been dealing with the application.
Kik is indeed a revolution in the messaging industry, which has brought a lot of convenience and freedom to the users. Along with this, its high end technology and applications has also brought safety concern for children, which parents are expected to keep an eye on and supervise. As a parent, if you will find anything wrong in the Kik account of their kids then immediately choose deactivate Kik now option which is a right step for you and your kid as well.